WELCOME BACK TO SCHOOL NEBO BEARS!!
Mrs. Ellen Miller
“I’m your Child’s School Counselor”
The Counseling Program at Nebo Elementary School is designed to assist your child in making the most of his or her educational experience. As your child’s Counselor, I am concerned about his or her academic, career, and personal and social development.
I have a Master’s Degree in Professional School Counseling from Gardner-Webb University. I also have an Advanced School Counseling Certification from UNC-Greensboro. In addition, I am a certified School Counselor by the state of North Carolina. Before I became a School Counselor, while my children were young, I worked several years as a substitute teacher, a teacher’s assistant, a Title I assistant, and as a remediation teacher. I am currently a member of The North Carolina School Counselor Association and The American School Counselor Association.
The Counseling Program at Nebo Elementary offers the following specific activities:
- Character Development lessons will be offered as part of Nebo’s Specials Rotation. This year, I will be using an excellent curriculum that will focus on Social and Emotional Learning. Every class will be participating in these lessons.
- Small Group Focus sessions (during lunch) that include research based lessons on conflict resolution, academic motivation, self-esteem building, divorce/separation, friendship issues, self-care, anger management, and understanding/expressing feelings. I offer these groups throughout the year and they are open to all students.
- Individual Counseling in the areas of grief, family separation, academic motivation, friendship issues, self-care and safety.
- Career and College Day :: This is specifically for the 5th Grade with the Annual MCS 5th Grade Career Fair
- Parent Meetings and Consultations
Reasons that I might contact parents/guardians regarding their child include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Request assistance from parents in specific areas to help their children achieve success in school.
- Informing parents that their student will be involved in group counseling.
- Offer community referrals—etc…
I am not qualified to provide long-term intensive counseling/therapy for students. If at any point, after working with a student on an individual basis, I believe that the student requires more intensive support, I will discuss with the parents/guardians the availability of outside agency support services.
Your child will be participating in the School Counseling Program on a regular basis. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to call me at 828-652-4737. I sincerely look forward to working with your child in the coming year to help them have a successful experience at Nebo!